Please show your support!

If you would like to contribute to Kim's Fundraising efforts, please use the Pied Piper Appeal and Brainstrust Just Giving links. Alternatively you can donate at:
Channel Swim Charity Fundraising Account
Lloyds TSB
Sort Code: 30-93-48
Account Number: 49225460
Thank you, we are very grateful for your support!



Tuesday 12 July 2011

Bala Lake (Llyn Tegid, North Wales).

I had never been to Bala before, so was a novice in this lake! What an awesome setting though. Like the beautiful Lake District but in Wales! It was a double bubble weekend, with a 6 miler on the Saturday (two lengths of the lake), and a one way 3 miler on the Sunday. The lake was a balmy 16 degrees, so I knew that would be no problem. Although the sun was out on the Saturday, there was a fair bit of wind. For those of you that know Bala, it whips along the lake and can make it a pretty choppy swim. That it was!! Fighting up through the quite relentless chop all 3 miles to the other end was a hard task. It takes its toll on neck and shoulders. I managed well and got to the turnaround in 1 hour 33mins, ably guided by boyfriend Matt in the kayak! The swim back was tiring even though the wind was now coming across, it was still quite fatiguing! I had a 'fuzzy' patch for a good 20mins on the way back, and realised my last feed should have been Ambrosia as well as energy drink. I stopped early for my next feed, Matt obliged and I gulped down a whole pot of  rice pud and flew off on my way again!! More fuelled, made such a difference and I felt I had a bit more to give then to the end. When it finally arrived 3 hours 9 secs later I felt I had put in a great effort. 6th lady overall. Recovery shake, a good meal and sleep should be sufficient to get me to the 3 mile start line in the morning!

Sunday morning came and it was a grey, dull, rainy one! Well, couldn't expect the sun to last! Again there was a breeze, but this makes it more interesting - my arms were going to ache anyway, was how I saw it! My race strategy was pretty much to go out hard, and hold on to the pace for just as long as I could. I knew I should be able to last 3 miles, even if I did tire a little towards the end. Matt guided me really well. I managed to stay on the feet of another swimmer and keep their kayak in sight for most of the way, before it gradually pulled away. I really prefer to have a focus for my eyes when I'm swimming and even more so when I'm tiring!! I did feel that this race was harder, but then it was shorter and faster, with tired arms! I was pretty stoked at the end (again the stone jetty at the finish seemed to take forever to get to!), when I was told I was 3rd lady. The pain was worth it!

A good 9 miles in the bank this week end. Great crewing from Matt, and support from the banks at various points from my parents too. Thanks so much guys, couldn't do it all with out you (X).Well done to all the other competitiors too - a really fab bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment